Viser resultatene 1 til 40 av 102
    Administrator
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Fokus: Saudi-Arabia - Et tvilsomt vennskap? Midt-Østen

Saudi-Arabia

Land i Asia

Kongeriket Saudi-Arabia, vanligvis omtalt som Saudi-Arabia, er et land med geografisk beliggenhet i Midtøsten, og det største landet på den arabiske halvøy. Wikipedia

Saudi-Arabia er det landet i verden som eksporterer mest olje, og denne eksporten smører den saudiske økonomien. Olje står for over 90 % av landets eksportinntekter og nesten 75 % av de statlige inntektene. Dette danner grunnlaget for en velferdsstat, som regjeringen har hatt problemer med å opprettholde i perioder med lav oljepris. Menneskerettighetsorganisasjoner, som Amnesty International og Human Rights Watch, har gjentatte ganger uttrykt bekymringer angående menneskerettigheter i Saudi-Arabia, bekymringer som har blitt avfeid av den saudiske regjeringen. Sharialover praktiseres også i Saudi-Arabia.

Link: Saudi-Arabia - Wikipedia

CIA World Factbook skriver:

Saudi Arabia is the birthplace of Islam and home to Islam's two holiest shrines in Mecca and Medina. The king's official title is the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques. The modern Saudi state was founded in 1932 by ABD AL-AZIZ bin Abd al-Rahman Al SAUD (Ibn Saud) after a 30-year campaign to unify most of the Arabian Peninsula. One of his male descendants rules the country today, as required by the country's 1992 Basic Law. King SALMAN bin Abd al-Aziz ascended to the throne in 2015 and placed the first next-generation prince, MUHAMMAD BIN NAYIF bin Abd al-Aziz, in the line of succession as Crown Prince. Following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, Saudi Arabia accepted the Kuwaiti royal family and 400,000 refugees while allowing Western and Arab troops to deploy on its soil for the liberation of Kuwait the following year. The continuing presence of foreign troops on Saudi soil after the liberation of Kuwait became a source of tension between the royal family and the public until all operational US troops left the country in 2003. Major terrorist attacks in May and November 2003 spurred a strong on-going campaign against domestic terrorism and extremism. King ABDALLAH from 2005 to 2015 worked to incrementally modernize the Kingdom - driven by personal ideology and political pragmatism - through a series of social and economic initiatives, including expanding employment and social opportunities for women, attracting foreign investment, increasing the role of the private sector in the economy, and discouraging businesses from hiring foreign workers. The Arab Spring inspired protests - increasing in number since 2011 but usually small in size - over primarily domestic issues among Saudi Arabia's majority Sunni population. Riyadh has taken a cautious but firm approach by arresting some protesters but releasing most of them quickly, and by using its state-sponsored clerics to counter political and Islamist activism. In addition, Saudi Arabia has seen protests among the Shia populace in the Eastern Province, who have protested primarily against the detention of political prisoners, endemic discrimination, and Bahraini and Saudi Government actions in Bahrain. Protests are met by a strong police presence, with some arrests, but not the level of bloodshed seen in protests elsewhere in the region. In response to the unrest, King ABDALLAH in February and March 2011 announced a series of benefits to Saudi citizens including funds to build affordable housing, salary increases for government workers, and unemployment entitlements. To promote increased political participation, the government held elections nationwide in September 2011 for half the members of 285 municipal councils - a body that holds little influence in the Saudi Government. Also in September, King ABDALLAH announced that women will be allowed to run for and vote in future municipal elections - first held in 2005 - and serve as full members of the advisory Consultative Council. The country remains a leading producer of oil and natural gas and holds about 16% of the world's proven oil reserves. The government continues to pursue economic reform and diversification, particularly since Saudi Arabia's accession to the WTO in 2005, and promotes foreign investment in the kingdom. A burgeoning population, aquifer depletion, and an economy largely dependent on petroleum output and prices are ongoing governmental concerns.

---

Admin kommentar: Denne artikkelen er publisert av (med utspring fra denne boken, som du kan kjøpe på Bokkilden for kr 109) anerkjente Hampshire College beskriver hva jeg mener bør få større lys og spalteplass i nyhetsdekningene: #pipelinemanagement - Nemlig kampen om ressursene og hva det egentlig handler om for stormaktene.
    Oil Conflict

Conflict over the control of valuable oil supplies has been a persistent feature of international affairs since the beginning of the 20 th century. Such conflict varies in nature, ranging from territorial disputes over the possession of oil-laden border areas to dynastic or factional struggles among the leaders of oil-rich countries to major inter-state wars over the control of vital oil zones. As oil becomes more scarce and valuable, the frequency and severity of such conflict is likely to increase.

The close connection between oil and conflict derives from two essential features of petroleum:

(1) its vital importance to the economy and military power of nations; and
    (2) its irregular geographic distribution.

Military significance: Petroleum is also a vital factor in the military strength of nations, in that it supplies most of the energy used to power tanks, planes, missiles, ships, armored vehicles, and other instruments of war. Vast amounts of petroleum are consumed in modern combat operations, and so every major power seeks to ensure its access to adequate supplies. (During the 1991 Gulf War, for example, U.S. and allied forces consumed an average of 19 million gallons of oil per day - equivalent to the total daily consumption of Argentina.) Because oil is so vital to the conduct of warfare, its possession has been termed a "national security" matter by the United States and other countries, meaning something that may require the use of military force to protect.

Petroleum exports are also extremely lucrative, especially for those producing countries that rely on it as a major source of foreign earnings. According to the Enegry Information Administration of the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE), oil exports account for approximately 90-95 percent of Saudi Arabia's foreign earnings, 90-95 percent of Nigeria's, and 80 percent of Iran's.

Les mer her.

---

Et tvilsomt vennskap

Er det norske kongehuset forpliktet til å hedre despotiske monarker?

Det saudiske regimet kan uten blygsel omtales som et skrekkregime. Det var - til tross for mange fine protokollførte ord fra verdenssamfunnet - en av vår tids minst ærefulle og mer blodige despoter som døde da Kong Abdullah nylig gikk bort.

Vår egen kronprins satte seg straks på flyet til Riyadh. Erna Solberg sendte kondolanser. USAs utenriksminister sendte et telegram som har gått en ganskepinlig seiersgang i sosiale medier, hvor kongen ble opphøyd til en ærefull leder med visdom og visjoner (tror Kerry dette selv?). Reaksjonene har ikke latt vente på seg. Mange lurer på om all etiketten er nødvendig eller om det norske kongehuset protokollmessig er forpliktet til å hedre despotiske monarker?

Et tvilsomt vennskap
    admin

Administrator
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor
    Saudi Arabia on alert over possible oil or mall attack

Saudi Arabia has put security forces on alert for a possible militant attack on a shopping mall or energy installation, Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour Turki said on Monday.

“There was information about a possible act targeting a mall or Aramco installations. We passed this information to the security forces to be on alert,” he told Reuters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle24025458/
    admin

Administrator
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Putin, Saudi King Agree to Deepen Regional and International Coordination

According to Kremlin press service, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud confirmed readiness to enhance coordination between the two states on regional and international issues.

The Russian president invited the Saudi monarch to pay a visit to Russia, the Kremlin added without giving any further details.

Both leaders "expressed bilateral determination to boost mutually beneficial bilateral cooperation in different areas," it said.
    According to the statement, King Salman praised Russia's efforts to settle the Yemen crisis, including its backing of the April 15 UN resolution that banned arms supplies to Houthi rebels in Yemen.

http://sputniknews.com/politics/2015...021132697.html
    admin

Korporal 1. klasse
    Ble medlem
    Jan 2012
    Pondusfaktor
    Uansett hvor vi trør i sandkasse-Midtøsten så trør vi på et sandslott

Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor
    Saudi-Arabias konge bytter kronprins. Vraker halvbror til fordel for nevø.

http://www.dagbladet.no/2015/04/29/n...riks/38921436/
    Odd objects attract fire. You are odd.

Visekorporal
    Ble medlem
    Jan 2015
    Pondusfaktor
    Saudi Arabia har gjort en rekke rokeringer i sin militaere og politiske ledelse den siste uken. Trenden er flere Sunni nasjonalister som kjorer en hard linje mot Iran. Som et resultat provde Saudi Air Force og avskjaere et Iransk transport fly som hville lande i Yemen i gaar natt. Det Iranske flyet fortsatte sin kurs mot Yemen. Saudi Air Force sit mot trekk var og bombe landingstripen Sana'a, som i sin tur stengte flyplassen og har satt landings stripen ute av fungsjon. Det Iranske umerkede transport flyet returnerte til Iran uten og lande i Sana'a.

Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor
    Fra Kjetil Stormarks FB:

I tillegg til å avskjære sivile nødhjelpsendinger fra Iran ved hjelp av kampfly, synes Saudi Arabia også å ha bombet sivile iranske passasjer- og transportfly på flyplassen i Sana i Jemen.

Nyhetspubliserer
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Sv: Saudi-Arabia - Et tvilsomt vennskap?

FORNØYD: Saudi-Arabias oljeminister Ali Ibrahim Naimi i Wien, Østerrike mandag. Foto: AP Photo/Ronald Zak

Naimi: - Strategien virker

Saudi-Arabias oljeminister er på plass i Wien før OPEC-møtet denne uken.

Saudi-Arabias oljeminister Ali Naimi sier at kongedømmets politikk med hovedvekt på markedsandeler virker.
    Det skriver Bloomberg News tirsdag.

Naimi: - Strategien virker - DN.no

Skille

Se også denne artikkelen i DN fra februar i år om hvordan Saudi Arabia styrer oljemarkedet:
    Slik styrer Saudi-Arabia oljemarkedet

- Hvis ikke de ønsker endring, får ikke andre gjort noe, sier oljeanalytiker Thina Saltvedt i Nordea Markets.
    - Det er Saudi-Arabia som sitter med makten her. De har styringen og er de facto lederen, sier oljeanalytikeren.
    Admin kommentar: Viktig å få med seg følgende konklusjon fra artikkelen, sett i det store bildet vs de ulike konfliktene vi ser i verden #pipelinemanagement:

Det er likevel én ting Saudi-Arabia frykter: At USA skal begynne å eksportere råolje, tror Saltvedt.
    - Det er åpenbart at Saudi-Arabia finner presset fra Russland og ikke minst USA. Jeg tror USA kommer til å eksportere mer olje fremover, og det er nok Saudi-Arabia redd for.

Åpner amerikanerne for eksport, vil Saudi-Arabia få økt konkurranse. Likevel har landet en større fordel enn mange av de andre OPEC-landene, mener Saltvedt.

- Saudi-Arabia tenker mye lenger, de har en mer langsiktig strategi. I tillegg har de en buffer av store fond å lene seg på. Mange av de andre OPEC-medlemmene, som nå er mer desperate for å få et kutt, tenker mer kortsiktig. Saudia-Arabia tenker at de skal være en stor oljeprodusent i mange år, og at de da skal tåle en historisk liten periode med lavere oljepriser - som vil justere seg etterhvert.
    Bakgrunn Ali Ibrahim Naimi:

Wikipedia:

Ali Al-Naimi (født 1935) er en saudiarabisk politiker som siden 1995 har vært oljeminister i landet. Fra 1983 til 1995 var han president for det statseide saudiarabiske oljeselskapet Saudi Aramco. Gjetergutten al-Naimi har arbeidet seg opp i Saudi-Arabias oljeindustri til å bli landets mektige oljeminister.

Al-Naimi er på grunn av sin erfaringsbakgrunn ansett som en av verdens største autoriteter innen oljeindustrien. I 2008 ble han satt opp på TIME Magazines liste over "De 100 mest innflytelsesrike mennesker i verden".
    Al-Naimi omtales som en norgesvenn.

Les mer her.
    Milforum-News
    Nyhetspubliserer

Besøk vår nettbutikk

Nyhetspubliserer
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Sv: Saudi-Arabia - Et tvilsomt vennskap?

Saudi Arabia is the latest target of ISIL’s plan to divide the region

Ever since the first terrorist attack on Shiite houses of worship in Saudi Arabia, it has been clear that a plan has been put in place to target the country’s unity and stability, suggests the columnist Tareq Al Homayed in the pan- Arab daily Asharq Al Awsat on Monday.
    The plot was announced following the two terrorist explosions at mosques in Al Qudeeh and Dammam in Saudi Arabia. ISIL issued a statement that shows the extent of its criminal intentions against the kingdom.

ISIL’s statement, he noted, declares the organisation’s plans to target Shiites on the Arabian Peninsula, a plan that brings to mind similar statements made by Al Qaeda in the late 1990s.

“ISIL’s criminal statement could only mean one thing: their plan is to stoke sectarian strife in Saudi Arabia, plunging the country into turmoil in a bid to serve the interests of many parties,” Al Homayed said.

Les mer her.

...mens andre har en litt annen approach. Her fra The Shia Post:

Saudi Arabia behind ISIL terrorists: Iraq Cabinet

The Iraqi government has once again blamed Saudi Arabia for a rise in bloodshed and terrorist attacks in the country. The Iraqi cabinet said in a statement that Riyadh is supporting and financing the Takfiri militants of the ISIL. The ISIL militants have vowed to continue their raid toward the capital, Baghdad. Al-Maliki has said the country’s security forces would confront the terrorists, calling the seizure of Mosul and some other towns by militants a “conspiracy.” The Iraqi premier has blamed Saudi Arabia and Qatar for the security crisis and growing terrorism in his country, denouncing Riyadh as a major supporter of global terrorism.

Les mer her.
    Milforum-News
    Nyhetspubliserer

Besøk vår nettbutikk

Administrator
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Sv: Fokus: Saudi-Arabia - Et tvilsomt vennskap?

Denne artikkelen er publisert av anerkjente Hampshire College med utspring fra denne boken, som du kan kjøpe på Bokkilden for kr 109 og den beskriver hva jeg mener bør få større lys og spalteplass i nyhetsdekningene: #pipelinemanagement - Nemlig kampen om ressursene og hva det egentlig handler om for stormaktene. Her er et lite utdrag:

Oil Conflict

Conflict over the control of valuable oil supplies has been a persistent feature of international affairs since the beginning of the 20 th century. Such conflict varies in nature, ranging from territorial disputes over the possession of oil-laden border areas to dynastic or factional struggles among the leaders of oil-rich countries to major inter-state wars over the control of vital oil zones. As oil becomes more scarce and valuable, the frequency and severity of such conflict is likely to increase.

The close connection between oil and conflict derives from two essential features of petroleum:

(1) its vital importance to the economy and military power of nations; and
    (2) its irregular geographic distribution.

Military significance: Petroleum is also a vital factor in the military strength of nations, in that it supplies most of the energy used to power tanks, planes, missiles, ships, armored vehicles, and other instruments of war. Vast amounts of petroleum are consumed in modern combat operations, and so every major power seeks to ensure its access to adequate supplies. (During the 1991 Gulf War, for example, U.S. and allied forces consumed an average of 19 million gallons of oil per day - equivalent to the total daily consumption of Argentina.) Because oil is so vital to the conduct of warfare, its possession has been termed a "national security" matter by the United States and other countries, meaning something that may require the use of military force to protect.

Petroleum exports are also extremely lucrative, especially for those producing countries that rely on it as a major source of foreign earnings. According to the Enegry Information Administration of the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE), oil exports account for approximately 90-95 percent of Saudi Arabia's foreign earnings, 90-95 percent of Nigeria's, and 80 percent of Iran's.

Les mer her.
    admin

Nyhetspubliserer
    Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Smoke billows from a fire at a Houthi-controlled military site after it was hit by a Saudi-led air strike in Sanaa, Yemen, June 3, 2015.
    Reuters/Mohamed al-Sayaghi

Saudi-led alliance launches air strikes on Yemen capital

Air strikes by a Saudi-led Arab alliance shook Yemen's capital Sanaa on Wednesday, mainly targeting military bases aligned with the dominant Houthi group, residents said.

Houthi officials said there were casualties but gave no further details. Locals saw ambulances racing to the scene. "The ... blasts made me jump out of bed," one man who identified himself as Assem told Reuters by phone. Residents said the war planes launched at least ten strikes north of Sanaa, causing massive explosions.

Les mer her.

Milforum-News
    Nyhetspubliserer

Besøk vår nettbutikk

Korporal

Ble medlem
    Aug 2011
    Pondusfaktor

Dette var nytt for meg. Skjedde under Reagen faktisk...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/US–S...bia_AWACS_Sale

SAUDI AWACS DEAL PASSES $8 BILLION - NYTimes.com

"Why Saudi Arabia Needs The AWACS"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    - Putzes in da house.

Korporal

Ble medlem
    Aug 2011
    Pondusfaktor

- Putzes in da house.

Ble medlem
    May 2004
    Pondusfaktor

Korporal

Ble medlem
    Aug 2011
    Pondusfaktor

Saudi Arabia flexing its muscles in Middle East
    Saudi Arabia flexing its muscles in Middle East - BBC News

Something is stirring in Saudi Arabia. Gone is the historically conservative, don't-rock-the-boat, tip-toeing approach to the big, strategic issues of the Middle East.

For the Saudi leadership, this was a seminal moment and a turning point in its dealings with the US.
    The Saudis felt utterly let down by their long-time American allies. They had been hoping that combined international military action against the Assad regime would finally turn the corner in that country's civil war, removing Iran's only allied Arab ruler, President Assad, and replacing him with a Sunni-led government.
    When this did not happen, the senior Saudi princes and decision-makers resolved that, from then on, they would have to take matters into their own hands.